Early Christian Art
Early Christian Art
The Period of Persecution
Constantine s Proclamation
The Period of Recognition
Latin Cross Plan
Church of San Vitale, Ravenna
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul (Constantinople), Turkey
Kaaba at Mecca
Medieval Art (Middle Ages/Dark Ages)
Cathedral of St. Etienne, Caen, France
Sculpture on Portals
Cathedral of Notre Dame, Paris, France
Portals & Jamb Figures
Key Terms to Know:
Latin Cross Plan Middle Ages
Portal Illuminated Manuscripts
Byzantine Fying Buttress
Mosaic Jamb Figures
This DB will require that you do a bit of research before posting. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Section 1 – For this discussion board, I would like you to first, tell the class what interests you the most about the art we have studied in this chapter.
Section 2 – Next, I would like you to do some brief research via the internet. Tell the class ONE COMPLETELY NEW STATEMENT OF INFORMATION about your favorite section/artwork that is NOT STATED IN THE TEXTBOOK. In other words, give us some additional information about something that was covered in the chapter, perhaps the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris, Illuminated Manuscripts, the Catacombs in Rome, or maybe something about the jamb figures in image 15-34 on page 355 (why are their faces a different color than the rest of the statue?). A minimum of 6 sentences is required for section 2 to receive full credit.
Section 3 – Finally, list the website where you found this information. Use the method for making an automatic like that was used in project 1. The link must take us to a page where the information is listed. (Remember to use the method of adding the link so that it makes a direct connection…then double check to make sure the web address that you have typed in your DB posting connects properly and takes us directly to the information. If your address does not make an automatic link, you will not receive credit.) You may use the same website as another student, however, your new information must be different. DO NOT use any of the websites that I have posted in my lecture notes. Do not use wikipedia as your source. For instance:
1) I am especially interested in the stained glass of the Cathedrals. I am amazed and curious about the kind of technology that was available during this time period to create these beautiful images. I can see why they would be so inspiring to anyone coming into an otherwise dark church.
2) The text doesn’t go into detail about this, so I wanted to do a bit of additional research. Large stained glass windows were an incredible advancement in technology. Can you imagine how dark these cathedrals must have been before they were able to add windows? Not only did these windows provide and inspiring colorful light, they were also used as powerful symbols of Christianity. For example, the rose window is shaped like a blooming rose which is a symbol of Mary. Did you know that there are two types of stained glass? “Pot metal glass” is made by adding metalic oxides to molten glass. “Flashed glass” is made by fusing colored glass onto clear glass. Details, such as facial features, are painted on with black enamel and then fused to the glass by firing. Colors were a bit limited during the Medieval times.
3) I found this information in the book “Great Themes in Art” by John Walford. I also found a great website that gives the history of stained glass. Enjoy!
Recap of requirements:
1) Tell us what interests you the most in this chapter.
2) Report some new information about your item of interest…some bits of information that the book doesn’t give us that might help us understand or enjoy the topic more. A minimum of 6 sentences required for full credit. Change the subject heading of your posting to reflect the topic you have chosen.
3) Tell us where you found this information. Place this is a URL link. Make the automatic link using the method used in project 1 and double check to make sure it connects. You will not receive credit if your website does not connect properly or does not have the link displayed as an automatic link…so remember to double-check it after you have posted.
Place an order for this assignment or any other paper with us now. We guarantee that the paper will be delivered within the specified deadline. We also have a personalized customer support and you will be able to communicate with your writer throughout the order preparation process. Thank you for choosing us.
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Papers Completed by Expert Writers
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch