Test 1- Oceanography
Test 1- Oceanography
Answer the questions below:
- About what percentage of the Earth’s surface is covered by water?
2. Where did life on Earth most probably evolved?
3. What does most of the matter in the universe appear to consist of?
4. List the origins of the ocean in order of importance.
5. Approximately when was the first awareness of the spherical shape of the Earth developed in Europe?
6. Which was the first expedition to undertake a long ocean voyage in vessels specially designed and constructed for the purpose of long-distance travel ?
7. Who was the “first ocean scientist?”
8. Why was John Harrison’s invention of the chronometer important?
9. Which man was the first to publish a reasonably accurate chart of an ocean current?
10. Glomar Challenger is known mainly for_________.
11. List the inner layers of the Earth and their composition.
12. Define latitude and longitude.
13. Define the following terms:
- seafloor spreading
- transform faults
- fracture zones
- seamount chains
- Pacific hotspots
- buoyant (or isostatic) equilibrium
- continental crust
- oceanic crust
- Mid ocean ridges
- Turbidity current
If two oceanic plates collide at a relatively fast speed, and one is much older and cooler (therefore denser) than the other, what will probably happen?
15. List the evidence for plate tectonics.
16. List and describe the parts of the continental margins (ie. continental slope, rise, etc).
17. How are the coastal margins classified?
18. Describe hydrothermal springs or vents.
19. Describe the formation of atolls.
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Papers Completed by Expert Writers
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch