Physical Layer and LANs – Discussion
MIS 589 Networking Concepts and Applications
Week 2: Physical Layer and LANs – Discussion
LAN Topology (Graded)
|In order to understand a LAN you need to understand all the parts involved in constructing one. Discuss each of the components of a LAN as described in the textbook and in your research. What are the current standards for each of these components? What improvements are on the horizon? What role does ethernet play in today’s LANs.|
Week 2: Physical Layer and LANs – Discussion
Communication Media (Graded)
|Networks today will not operate without reliable media. What are some popular media types used in organizations today? How might factors such as transmission distance, cost, and organization type impact your choice of media?|
Week 2 Assignments:
Week 2 Individual Assignment; Chapter 3 Questions
Week 2 YouDecide; The Charter School LAN Upgrade Proposal
Additional Study Material (Source 2)
Week 2 Quiz Set 1 and 2 (Multiple Choice)
- (TCO B)A(n) _____circuit is another name for a multipoint configuration.
- (TCO B)The technology director has decided that a host based application architecture based on mainframes is best for the payroll application. As the network engineer you need to decide which type of transmission is best and want to keep things as simple as possible. Select the transmission type that is ideally suited for this situation.
- (TCO B)The Chief Information Officer has put you in charge of building the network. The CIO has informed you that cost are a factor in building the network. Security is not a concern and the CIO would like moderate speed. What type of media would you consider to build this network using to meet the CIO’s needs?
- (TCO B)Which is true regarding parallel transmission mode?
- (TCO B)With respect to converting digital data into analog signals, AM stands for:
- (TCO C)A member of upper management has just informed you that an office space needs to accommodate seven new networked computers. In this office space you have one network cable that runs back to the main network distribution point. You want to get the seven new computers running as soon as possible. What is the fasted method of getting them connected to the network?
- (TCO C)The storage capacity of your servers is quickly being exhausted. Organizational leadership has given you as much funding as you need to establish a long term solution to this problem. Which is the best option below to address this storage space problem from a long term perspective?
- (TCO C)Why do Switched Ethernet networks improve network performance?
- (TCO C)Which is true about a network hub?
- (TCO C)Which technology do most organizations today employ?
- (TCO B)A(n) ______ circuit is another name for a multipoint configuration. (Points : 4)
- (TCO B)The type of media usually installed on homes and businesses by the telephone company is called _____. (Points : 4)
- (TCO B)The Chief Information Officer has put you in charge of building the network. The CIO has informed you that cost are a factor in building the network. Security is not a concern and the CIO would like moderate speed. What type of media would you consider to build this network using to meet the CIO’s needs? (Points : 4)
- (TCO B)Which is true regarding parallel transmission mode? (Points : 4)
- (TCO B)With respect to converting digital data into analog signals, AM stands for: (Points : 4)
- (TCO C)You are the network engineer for XYZ hospital. Your supervisor has asked you to connect the MRI machine to the network via the network interface card built into the machine. You have been informed that you need to purchase the most cost effective cable available to perform this installation and gigabyte speed is necessary. What would be your best option given the scenario? (Points : 4)
- (TCO C)Microsoft Windows Active Directory is an example of a: (Points : 4)
- (TCO C)Network bottlenecks typically reside in what two places? (Points : 4)
- (TCO C)The basic layout of a network is called the _____. (Points : 4)
- (TCO C)Which of the following should not be considered when installing cables or performing maintenance? (Points : 4)
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Papers Completed by Expert Writers
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch