NOVA MGT5630 MIDTERM EXAM
NOVA MGT5630 MIDTERM EXAM
MGT5630 MIDTERM EXAM QUESTION 1 All if the following are guidelines for effectively management stress to prevent it from becoming excessive except for
- monitoring your own and your followers’ stress levels.
- identifying the cause of the stress.
- avoiding exercise late in the day.
- learning to relax.
Terrorists may call themselves “freedom fighters,” and firing someone may be referred to as “letting him go.” This is an example of
- moral justification.
- diffusion of responsibility.
- euphemistic labeling.
- advantageous comparison.
This leadership style serves to change the status quo by appealing to followers’ values and their sense of higher purpose.
In perception, the process of assigning underlying causes to behaviors is known as
- fundamental attribution error.
- self-fulfilling prophecy.
- single-loop learning.
- is an interpersonal relation in which others comply because they want to.
- is the study of leaders independent of the people they interact with.
- postulates that leaders administer rather than innovate.
- requires that leaders accept the status quo.
Which of the following is not an example of behaviors that could be considered a “10% stretch”?
- Using a motivational practice that has been very successful in the past.
- Conversing informally with everyone in the office at least once each day.
- Being more assertive or quieter than usual in a meeting.
- Seeking an opportunity to be chair of a committee.
Which of the following is true about emotional intelligence?
- There is no one definition of emotional intelligence but all seem to involve emotional awareness and empathy toward others.
- Emotional intelligence can be developed.
- EQ instruments often provide conflicting results.
- All the statements are true.
- are used when agents seek the aid of others to influence the target.
- occur when agents ask targets to participate in planning an activity.
- occur when the agent attempts to get you in a good mood before making a request.
- are used when agents ask another to do a favor out of friendship.
A leader who has developed close interpersonal relationships with followers generally uses his or her _____ power to influence them.
Which if the following skills and behaviors do not involve interacting with others and are among the most difficult to change.
Which of the following statements about defensiveness is false?
- Defensiveness is likely to occur when someone feels threatened.
- Defensiveness is an unnatural reaction when we are criticized.
- Defensiveness lessens a person’s ability to constructively use information.
- Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes lessens your level defensiveness.
In terms of the Leadership Grid, leaders scoring 1,9 denotes:
- low concern for people and high concern for production.
- high concern for people and production.
- high concern for people and low concern for production.
- low concern for people and production.
Leaders lower in neuroticism tend to
- take mistakes personally.
- become tense.
- hide their emotions.
- lose their temper when stressed.
Of the 5 discovery skills related to leading innovation, which is the cognitive skill that looks for new connections between seemingly diverse ideas, processes or products?
- Associative thinking
Which of the following statements is true?
- Innate factors more than formative experiences influence leadership.
- Leadership is either innate or acquired, not both.
- Typically most individuals can be categorized based on their innate qualities as leaders and non-leaders.
- Each person can make the most of leadership opportunities he or she faces.
The key to developing one’s leadership ability is making the most of
In the preconventional level of moral development, the criteria for moral behavior
- are based primarily on self-interest.
- are based primarily on gaining others’ approval.
- are based on universal, abstract principles.
- are based primarily on behaving conventionally.
_____ consist of descriptions of various leadership situations and are used as a vehicle for leadership discussions.
- Role playing
- Case studies
People with higher scores in _________ are organized, and goal oriented, prefer structure and dislike change.
- openness to experience
Which of the following statements concerning intelligence is accurate?
- Most research shows that leaders possess higher levels of creative intelligence than the general population.
- Most research shows that leaders possess higher levels of analytic intelligence than the general population.
- Most research shows that leaders possess higher levels of practical intelligence than the general population.
- Most research shows that creative, analytic and practical intelligence are not interrelated.
Which of the following statements about leaders versus managers is false?
- Leadership is a value-laden, activity, management is not.
- Leaders focus on risk taking; managers perform functions such as planning and controlling.
- Leaders are thought to do things right, managers do the right things.
- Leaders develop, managers maintain.
The Thematic Apperception Test is a(n)
- neuropsychological test.
- personality inventory.
- intelligence test.
- projective personality test.
Which of the following statements is incorrect?
- The idea of “one-man leadership” is a contradiction in terms.
- Leadership is a social influence process shared among all members of a group.
- Followers are part of the leadership process.
- Leadership is restricted to the influence exerted by someone in a particular role
Which of the following statements concerning the reflection component of the Action-Observation-Reflection, AOR, model is false?
- Leaders are always aware of the value of reflection in leadership development.
- It is the most neglected component of the AOR model.
- It can provide leaders with a variety of insights into how to frame problems differently.
- A reason for the reflection component to be neglected often may be due to time pressure at work.
A leader with strong ethical convictions who strives to always do the “right thing” can be termed which of the following?
- Transactional leader
- Transformational leader
- Charismatic leader
- Authentic leader
What is the most important step in conducting a meeting?
- List the objectives.
- Determine if it is necessary.
- Develop a plan for attaining objectives.
- Make it convenient for all participants.
In leaderless group discussions, facilitators and observers rate participants, which are used to provide managers with feedback about their
- supervisory skills.
- interpersonal skills.
- planning skills.
- time management skills.
Using the example of starting a new exercise program, which of the following would be a restraining force in a force field analysis?
- Dissatisfaction with appearance.
- Coworker group entering a 10k run.
- No regular exercise partner.
- Boyfriend or girlfriend is a “health nut”.
Which of the following is NOT true about charismatic leaders?
- Charismatic leaders are always dedicated to organizational effectiveness,
- Charismatic leaders are emotionally expressive.
- Charismatic leaders used to be thought to have divine or superhuman qualities.
- Employees tend to love or hate charismatic leaders.
Which if the following is a true statement?
- Transactional leaders are always controversial.
- All transformational leaders are charismatic.
- All charismatic leaders are transformational.
- Transformational leadership and charismatic leadership are mutually exclusive.
Which of the following is not one of the advantages to having a good working relationship with peers?
- Virtually everyone needs assistance from a peer or coworker at some time.
- Individuals can generally get more things done by themselves than by working with a group.
- In the instance where one of your peers is promoted, you are already in the “in-group.”
- All of these are advantages.
Theory Y reflects a view that most people
- need to be coaxed to work productively.
- are not naturally motivated to work.
- need to be coerced to work productively.
- are intrinsically motivated by their work.
Gen Xers define leadership as
- giving employees what they need to work well and comfortably.
- sitting in meetings and making profound vision statements.
- creating a level playing field for all.
- being critical and patronizing of employees.
Which of the following is NOT one of the discovery skills of leaders of innovation?
The ability to produce work that is both novel and useful is called
- practical intelligence.
- social intelligence.
- analytic intelligence.
- creative intelligence.
Which of the following statements is true regarding action learning?
- Adults learn best by learning by doing, which is the basic philosophy of action learning.
- The level of demonstrated effectiveness of action learning programs for leadership v. development has not kept pace with their use for idea generation.
- Action learning often involves assignment to a work team that addresses real time actual challenges the company is facing.
- All of these statements are true.
The leadership model most equipped to lead innovation in an organization is _________________
- Situational leadership
- Transformational leadership.
- Contingency leadership
- Transactional leadership
- begins with the manager’s completion of an extensive battery of personality instruments.
- is used to diagnose why behavioral change is not occurring and what can be done about it.
- is more effective for high-performing followers than for low-performing followers.
- is a one-on-one relationship between the manager and the coach
According to the new leader onboarding roadmap, within the first two weeks leaders should
- obtain external perspectives.
- establish culture.
- meet team members.
- complete sub-team analysis.
Which of the following is not one of the seven specific steps for creating a high-impact development plans?
- Reflect with a partner.
- Set up regular meetings with your superior.
- Develop criteria for success.
- Include stretch assignments.
Leaders who exhibit empathy for followers, influence through persuasion, and act as stewards of an organization’s resources are called:
- Ethical leaders.
- Servant leaders.
- Situational leaders.
- Charismatic leaders
Which of the following leadership dimensions were identified by the Ohio State Studies?
- Concern and initiating communication.
- Consideration and initiating structure.
- Goal emphasis and interaction support.
- Work facilitation and assertiveness.
All of the following are accepted among the major definitions of emotional intelligence except:
- a group of mental abilities that help people recognize their own feelings and those of others.
- self-motivation, persistence in the face of frustration, mood management, ability to adapt, and ability to empathize and get along with others.
- a set of 15 abilities necessary to cope with daily situations and get along in the world.
- All of these are accepted as definitions of emotional intelligence.
Which of the following refers to one person’s actual behaviors designed to change another person’s attitudes, beliefs, values or behaviors?
- Influence tactics
Followers are more likely to use _____ power to change their leader’s behavior if they have a relatively high amount of referent power with their fellow co-workers.
Leaders following the authentic leadership approach
- put on a different act with different audiences.
- have realistic self-perceptions.
- do whatever it takes to assure that things run smoothly.
- have misperceptions of self.
Which of the following statements concerning the rational and emotional aspects of leadership is false?
- Leaders can use rational techniques and/or emotional appeals in order to influence followers.
- Leadership includes actions and influences based only on reason and logic.
- Aroused feelings can be used either positively or negatively.
- Good leadership involves touching others’ feelings.
People typically use legitimizing or pressure tactics when
- they are at a disadvantage.
- an influencer has the upper hand.
- they expect resistance.
- parties are relatively equal in power.
Often leaders will need to find ways to resolve a problem if bureaucratic rules are invoked by followers. If this is the case, then the followers will have successfully used _____ power to influence their leader.
The best way to build relationships with followers is
- give them more responsibilities.
- to give bonus vacation time.
- spend time listening to what they have to say.
- arm them with knowledge.
We are ready to write this paper for you from scratch.
Place an order for this assignment or any other paper with us. We guarantee that the paper will be delivered within the specified deadline. We also have a personalized customer support and you will be able to communicate with your writer throughout the order preparation process. Thank you for choosing us.
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Papers Completed by Expert Writers
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch