EED-364 Integrating Science and Mathematics
Benchmark Assignment and Rubric
Targeted Essential Learning
Effective teachers will use research-based, best practices to design, plan, implement, and manage instruction that is aligned to elementary science academic standards. (InTASC 4,7)
Assessment Tool Selected
Integrated Math and Science Unit Plan
- Create a standards-based unit plan for an elementary classroom.
- Identify and use a variety of materials and resources in the unit plan.
- Use differentiation of instruction to meet needs of diverse learners.
- Manage materials, equipment, and other resources to affect the learning environment.
- Model and/or explain skills, concepts, attributes, and critical thinking processes.
Relevancy of Task to Teacher Candidate
By designing a comprehensive math and science unit plan that focuses on an elementary science academic standard, teacher candidates will be able to teach science concepts and processes that incorporate language arts and mathematics to elementary students.
General Practicum Information
- This course requires a practicum field experience. Familiarize yourself with the College of Education Teacher Preparation Programs Practicum/Field Experience Manual and its associated forms found on the Student Success Center.
- Students’ practicum experiences should follow the practicum experience requirements, including the diversity and hour requirements for this course on the Practicum/Field Experience Observation and Activity Log
- Students should complete the Practicum/Field Experience Observation and Activity Log, including the names of the schools and grade levels where the observations took place and document the hours spent in the classroom. Submit the form to the course instructor along with your Benchmark Assignment in Topic 8.
- Spend 20 hours split between two classrooms, grades 4−8. Let your mentors know that you are working on developing your lesson planning skills. All observations must be done during the teaching of math and science lessons. Throughout the practicum, observe and interview your mentors. Two observations must be in different grade levels and one placement must be in a Title 1 school.
Assignment: Student Prompts/Teacher Directions
- Benchmark Assignment:Integrating Science and Mathematics
- Create a unit plan integrating science and math content of fractions, decimals, and/or percents.
- Ensure you have listed each of the science (NSES)) and math (NCTM) standards to include learning goals and objectives.
iii) Create the unit plan including the following:
(1) Clear-cut objectives that align to standards
(2) Relevantmaterials and resources
(3) Differentiation of instruction to address the diverse needs of students. Name the differentiation strategies for the specific diverse groups.
(4) Problem solving and inquiry strategies
(5) The 12 science processes
(6) Concrete manipulatives to help develop science and fraction/decimal sense
(7) Informal and/or formal assessment that align with objectives
(8) Authentic, formative and/or summative assessments
(9) Allow for student reflection
- Write a narrative of 1,000-1,250-words that addresses the assignment criteria, gives specific examples from the unit plan,and state your rationale.
- Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required. Include an appendix to the paper that is a copy of the unit plan.
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
vii) Submit the assignment to the instructorby the end of Topic 8. In addition, submit the assignment in Taskstream. Directions for submitting to Taskstream are found on the College of Education’s page in the Student Success Center.
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Assignments Completed by Expert Writers. Hire Essay Helpers for Any Task
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch