Assessment of Young Children
In Week Two, we focused on the important role observations play in the assessment of young children. From conducting observations professionals working with young children may have some areas of concern about a child’s development. When this happens, they often use a developmental screener as the next step in ensuring a child’s success. Screeners are a “brief assessment to identify possible problems that may later be further evaluated using more extensive and more accurate assessment” (Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E., 2015, p. 149). In this discussion, we will look at the connection between observations and screeners, the purposes of screeners, and including families in the screening process.
To prepare for your discussion, you will need to read the case study in the introduction of Chapter 5 and watch the Observation, Screening, Assessment, and Documentation video.
Using both the Observation, Screening, Assessment and Documentation video and Chapter 5 of your course text as support, discuss the following:
- Explain the relationship between observations and screeners in the assessment of young children. Include at least two specific examples of how they are connected.
- Discuss how the information shared in the video does or does not align with the screening process shared in the case study in the introduction section of Chapter 5 of the course text. Include at least two specific examples to support your thinking.
- Based on your understanding of the purposes of screeners, how will you use screening in your current or future work with young children? Make sure to include specific examples that are connected to the purposes of assessment shared in the video and the course text.
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ responses. Respond to at least two of your peers and share with them at least one more way they could use screeners with young children that was not shared in their initial post. In addition, provide them with at least two ideas for how they can involve the child’s family in the screening process.
“Screening devices are brief, easy-to-administer assessments that evaluate a vast array of cognitive, social, emotional, behavioral, motor, language, and other behaviors and skills” (Howard, V. F., & Aiken, E. , 2015, p.149).In this discussion forum we will take a look at some specific screeners in order to better understand how we can use them to help children meet and exceed their developmental milestones. There are three parts to this discussion.
Step 1: To help you decide which screening assessments you want to further explore, make sure to read section 5.4 of your course text. Then, choose one commonly used screening assessment from three different developmental domains located in the chart below. You do not need to purchase any screeners to complete this discussion, but instead just need to read the information on the website to understand the purpose of the screener.
|Developmental Domain||Screening Assessments|
|Motor Development||Alberta Infant Motor Screening Test (AIMS)|
|Language Development||Fluharty Preschool Speech and Language Screening-2 (Fluharty-2)|
|Cognitive Development||Brigance Infant and Toddler Screen|
|Social-Emotional Development||Brief Infant Toddler Social Emotional Assessment|
Step 2: Create a three circle venn diagram using the Three Circle Venn Diagram template that compares and contrasts the three screeners you chose. Please view the Sample Screener Venn Diagram for an example of what you are doing. If you need additional help with how to create a three circle venn diagram, please watch THIS VIDEO. In your venn diagram, you will need to address the following about each of the three screeners you chose:
- Age of children the screener is used with.
- The skills the screener measures.
- Who typically administers the screener.
- What you might see during an observation that would lead you to using this screener.
- What information you can learn about a child from administering the screener.
Step 3: Upload a PDF copy of your three circle venn diagram as an attachment to the discussion forum and address the following:
- Discuss how you can use the three screeners you examined together to ensure the children you working with are meeting their developmental milestones. Use your course text to support your response.
- Explain what your next steps would be after administering the three screeners to a child whose development you were concerned about.
- Discuss the importance of involving families in the screening process. Make sure to include specific examples that are connected to the three screeners you chose.
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ posts. Respond to at least two of your peers by respectfully stating whether you agree or disagree with the next steps they shared in their initial post about what they would do after administering the screener. If you agree with their next steps, provide evidence to support your decision. If you disagree, explain what you feel they need to do differently and why.
Have troubles with paper writing? You’ve found the right paper writing company! We are the leading essay writing services that provides quality papers for a reasonable price. On our website, you can order various assignments. Our work is 100% original. We write your essay from scratch, according to the exact specifications of your assignment. We guarantee it will pass any plagiarism check
Get Your Papers Completed by Expert Writers
Order essays, term papers, research papers, reaction paper, research proposal, capstone project, discussion, projects, case study, speech/presentation, article, article critique, coursework, book report/review, movie review, annotated bibliography, or another assignment without having to worry about its originality – we offer 100% original content written completely from scratch